Fathers along the path.....
on Sun, 06/18/2006 - 14:17. FaithThis morning as I did the Children's Moments at my church, I looked at the children and realized that the typical Father's Day Children's Sermons just won't do in 2006. Most children do not live in a traditional, Mom/Dad/sister/brother home. Some children are raised by just their father, or just their mother; by their grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc. So what are we to say on Father's Day (and Mother's Day) to those children? It's comforting to know that God places "Fathers" and "Mothers" on the path of life for them, in the form of teachers, other family members, coaches, friends and mentors.
As a child myself, I knew that my father didn't really know how to break the addictions that bound him, but it didn't keep me from wishing he could. I used to sit outside and pray for my Dad to be like the father on the television show "Little House on the Prairie". I was taught in Sunday School that my Heavenly Father was looking out for me each day, but I wanted one like Laura Ingalls' "Pa" on earth, and I wanted it then. It took my best friend Kim's dad, teachers in school, my minister at church, next door neighbors, directors, bosses and later professors to teach me in a fatherly way how to go forth in the world and to be a strong person. I am grateful to those men today, and realize first hand what a gift those kindnesses are to a child that needs that guidance so desperately.
Thank you to all the men out there that fulfill that role for the children in the Hartsville community, you do a tremendous service by your actions and your good deeds. Happy Father's Day to all the fine men out there that take the time to help the little ones on their path, for it truly does "take a village to raise a child". Bless you all.
No comments:
Post a Comment